Mercury 700 70HP Outboard...no water coming out

Old 08-07-09, 06:06 PM
Mercury 700 70HP Outboard...no water coming out

I just bought an older bass boat with a Mercury 700, 70HP outboard. Starts right up, but no water comes out. I'm afraid the engine is going to overheat. last owner definitely used the boat recently. new gas tank, seats, fishfinder, vests, cover...he didn't put that money into a boat with a broken engine. I have no idea where to start. I'll of course imagine the worse. Hoping my good deal on a used boat is still a good deal and this won't cost me hundreds of bucks.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-09, 12:01 AM
It either needs a water pump impeller or there might be something stuck in the tell tale hose.

Old 08-11-09, 10:32 AM
Have you checked for a clogged hose where the water is suppose to come out. Take the cowling off and follow the hose. Mine is attached with small hose clamps. I removed the hose, cleaned it with a thin wire, reinstalled it and the problem was solved.

Old 08-14-09, 06:30 PM
Thanks

It was the impeller. I found a video on u-tube that showed how to replace it. Never touched a boat engine in my life. Fairly easy job, once you get through the kinks. Replies and advice is appreciated.

Old 08-14-09, 09:37 PM
Cool, good to hear you did it.

Old 08-20-09, 06:03 PM
a tip for preserving impellers is to every month or so if you don`t use it much to turn the engine over a few times. especially if you store it all winter, so that the rubber impeller doesn`t get any flat spots. and cover up the water ports as mud dobber wasps will get in there and plug it up. we`ve had that happen a few times here in Florida