Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to replace the transom on a Sylvan 16' boat

PA

08-30-09, 12:41 PM   #1  
How to replace the transom on a Sylvan 16' boat

I will be working on a early/mid 80's Sylvan fishing boat that has a soft transom. It looks like you drill out the rivets holding on the top aluminum trim cap first. There are 4-5 large phillips head screws thru the back on each side. If I remove those, would the transom slide up and out?

Transom replacement materials: I have heard double up two sheets of marine plywood with liquid nails between them, and I have also heard standard plywood liquid nailed together and then coat the entire piece with the resin from a fiberglass kit. Any input?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

CANADA

08-30-09, 02:55 PM   #2  
That is pretty much how I converted a short to a long transom on a 16' Tracker aluminum fishing boat.
I just used pressure treated plywood with liquid nails and stainless steel wood screws to pull the pieces together.
I would stay away from fiberglass as it would only be an invitation for rot.

My plywood insert was an odd size, I believe it took a piece of 3/4" and 1/2" to make the same thickness which I needed because it slipped into a channel.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Search this Thread