Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can I repair or must I replace the starter if it disengages prematurely?

PA

08-30-09, 12:53 PM   #1  
Can I repair or must I replace the starter if it disengages prematurely?

The starter will engage and turn the motor over but disengages before the motor is started, similar to a car with a bendix issue. The gear backs out but continues to turn, it revs way up without a load. The starter will not stay engaged and allow for a longer crank resulting is a difficult start condition. Is this something that can be repaired, or is the starter shot? I have rebuilt car starters and alternators in the past so I'm not afraid to dive into it if it is something that can be fixed.

Sponsored Links

MN

08-30-09, 05:29 PM   #2  
I think you can get parts for that starter, I would check for a fully charged battery and make sure the solinoid is also good first.

PA

08-31-09, 08:22 AM   #3  
I kind of eliminated the solenoid since it is basically just a relay. The starter spins up fine, it just disengages early and continued to spin up. If the solenoid was bad I would think that the starter wouldn't spin or would completely shut down.

NY

08-31-09, 03:13 PM   #4  
Make & model?

Bolts loosen and can cause the starter's gear to fall away. (But you'll usually hear grinding as it disengages.)

It is certainly something you can repair given your experience. Starters are starters.

PA

08-31-09, 04:55 PM   #5  
Mercury 500, 50hp 4 cylinder Thunderbolt. I think 1977, s/n 4803973.

No grinding from what I remember, just a crank and then the gear backs out and revs full out being disengaged from the flywheel. Like the old time car starters that had a magnetic solenoid on the top that pulled the arm and engaged the gear, and it let it release pulling the gear back.

MN

08-31-09, 05:46 PM   #6  
I looked up your ser# and it didn't show any parts for your starter just the starter for $250 but I don't have access to mercury's website to look up for sure.

I have seen starters do what your explaining if they are not getting enough amperage, thats why I suggested the sloenoid.

A good merc parts guy might know what starters cross referance and if there is a kit for it.

Like Rick said it shouldn't be hard to do.

Search this Thread