Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ReFinishing Oars

09-01-09, 11:11 AM   #1  
ReFinishing Oars

I have a set of old wooden oars that need to be refinished. Can I use Thompson's water seal to refinish my oars? The old finish was well worn and has been sanded off, now I need to put a new finish on them.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

09-01-09, 11:39 AM   #2  
Are these actually going to be used in the water? If so, you want to use something like a marine varnish or poly.

If they are just for decoration in a room, you could use a regular varnish or poly.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

09-01-09, 11:45 AM   #3  
These oars are for use with our boat. I wanted to get away from the high gloss look of a poly, and have a more natural look to the wood.

Won't a water sealant work for that?

Super Moderator

AZ

09-01-09, 12:15 PM   #4  
Well, they make all sorts of poly and varnish, matte..satin..low gloss. Doesn't have to be the real high gloss stuff

Thompsons is one of the lowest quality exterior coatings. It's almost just a wax desolved in a solvent that soaks in and repels water. Even on decks and exterior wood, it needs to be reapplied almost yearly in most cases, and thats just from occasional rain and sun exposure. It used to be OK back when there were no alternatives, but things have really improved.

I'm no boat expert..just a wood cutting kinda guy.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

09-01-09, 01:03 PM   #5  
Thanks GunGuy - I did not know that they made a matte finish poly. I will look into that.

Thanks Again!

Search this Thread