Gas Tank Leak

Old 05-01-00, 05:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a 1982 26ft SeaRay. While in winter storage the gas tank leaked over 80 gals of gasoline into the hull and cabin of my boat. Although the gasoline has been drained by professionals at the marina, I am still very concerned with whether or not the boat will ever be safe again, even if I replace the carpeting. The wood frame floor of the cabin had 8 inches of gasoline soaking in for months! Everything smells of gas, even after almost 2 weeks of leaving the boat open to air to clear it of fumes. Think I can save the boat or should I try to get insurance company to call it a loss?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-00, 09:30 PM
Smile

The insurance company may be your best solution in this case. That interior has a lot of wood that can carry gas odors for a very long time. I haven't had any luck, short of replacing the wood, getting the smell out. Its a hazard and should be taken care of immidiately. Has the fuel tank been replaced? It was leaking right? Aluminum tanks can rot from the inside out too.
All it takes is a steel sliver to corrode its way thru the tank. A small hole is as bad as a big one when it comes to fuel.
Play it safe. Take it back to the dealer and call your insurance co. for a survey of the damages. Im sure they will appriciate the call. It will save them money in the long run.
scott

Old 05-02-00, 07:43 PM
Smile

Totally agree with Boat Mech. Call you insurance company. Period. Too dangerous on a boat.