Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

winterizing boats

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-05-00, 09:21 PM   #1  
Need all the help I can get to winterize my boat. I have a 16 ft Starcraft with a 75 horse Johnson motor. This is our first boat and would like to learn how to winterize ourselves! Anyone??????

Sponsored Links

NC

10-06-00, 07:52 AM   #2  
If it has an outboard, which it sounds like, the motor will drain itself when out of the water. (Inboard motors have to be drained or anti-freezed.)If you have left-over mixed fuel, just add fuel stablizer to it. Change the lube in the lower unit with manufacturer's recommended lube and grease all fittings on motor and trailer wheels. Next Spring: Clean or replace the spark plugs, or get it tuned up, if it sounds like it needs it. Mix fresh gas as soon as you can, also. Good Luck! Edit: I keep the battery trickle-charged up over the winter, also. You can remove it, but it isn't necessary to do it to charge it up.

[This message has been edited by OldGuy (edited October 06, 2000).]

10-09-00, 08:11 AM   #3  
Good tips Old Guy >>>
You will want to rotete the engine several times to clear water from the impeller
housing too. See you next season.
scott

Search this Thread