Mercruiser starter bendix

Old 09-10-09, 02:35 PM
Mercruiser starter bendix

My boat has been slow to start, but yesterday it was trying to turn over then the starter just sounded like it was spinning. My friend said the bendix was probably stuck and needed lubrication. Can this be done without pulling off the starter or am I better off pulling it to inspect the brushes etc. Thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-09, 06:42 PM
Welcome to the forums.
What type of engine is it? a model would also help. It could be as sipmle as a low batt.

Old 09-11-09, 09:37 PM
Engine

It's a 5.7L EFI. 2 new batteries last month.

Old 09-11-09, 11:33 PM
The starter will have to be removed to servce it. Due to our labor rate we replace starters and don't repair them but if it were mine I would try.

Old 09-12-09, 07:08 AM
if that is a merc. i/o it is most likely a 350 chevy and your in florida.

salt water is bad for these i/o s here because the starter
sits low on the block and you get salt water down into the bilge there. we went through starters every 2 years, and alternators as well.

you could try to spray a little wd-40 on the bendix
but if it has sat for a while then it is corroded or rusty.

you may just have a bad connetion to the starter from corrosion as well. if you run in salt and need a new started get one for salt water. it is more $ but will last a little longer.
also check the oil pan when your down there. ours rusted through and it was a big cramped job to re-place.(i didn`t pull the motor to fix)

Old 09-12-09, 05:53 PM
Thanx for the info. If it will quit raining tomorrow I'll get out there pull off the starter. Hopefully a little lube and/or a swift kick is all it needs.

Old 09-12-09, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by printer-man View Post
(i didn't pull the motor to fix)
Pulling a 350 out of most boats is no big deal: Pull the drive. Disconnect the linkages, exhaust manifold hose clamps, fuel line, electrical main at the coupler, and four mounting bolts.

I'm fortunate to have a friend who owns a grinding shop with an indoor gantry, so all I had to do was back the boat into his shop. 45 minutes later the engine was out.

My 26-year-old Larson had never seen salt water. The original reason for pulling the engine was to fix a bad coupler. The starter was rusty. The rear flywheel cover was okay, but all of the bolts were shot. The flywheel was just starting to rust. The oil pan showed signs of imminent failure at the stern. Everything else looked surprisingly clean.

It's also the best time to clean the bilge.

Old 09-13-09, 04:35 AM
that would have been nice to do but we didn`t have a lift at that time to do it. it really wasn`t too bad, the only problem really was removing the old stuck on gasket.

we never ran the boat in ohio ( where we lived before) in salt
and everything would last for years.
but if you have one down here it destroys them.
that`s why most people here have outboards.
if your motor goes bad just un-hook it and re-power.

up north your car rusts out from salt, here your boat does.