Anyone ever replace a floor or a transom in a 16' aluminum Sylvan 16'?

Old 09-21-09, 06:02 PM
Anyone ever replace a floor or a transom in a 16' aluminum Sylvan 16'?

I'm working on my "free" 16' aluminum Sylvan and today I became a little dicouraged. I knew that I needed a lower unit, a transom, and I knew that it had a bad spot in the right rear corner floor. Today I realized that the whole floor is shot. It's spongy just about everywhere that you walk. I'm thinking that it all has to come out. Once I rip up the carpet I guess I'll have a better idea what I'm up against. The rod locker, the live well and the console is in the way, doesn't look to bad to get those out except for maybe the console.

Please make me feel better by telling me that it's an easy job...LOL

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-09, 08:24 PM
It's easy no problems at all.
Actually it does take time but if the boat was free what the heck. I started a project last year and at this point I have 100 hours into it. Mine is fiberglass and I'm recoring it as well as floor, transome and stringers.
A aluminum boat is a lot easier to work with and a lot liss itchy. Take your time and take a lot of pictures and you can do it.

Old 09-22-09, 05:58 PM
Is the floor screwed or glued in an aluminum boat? A friend told me that his older boat was just laid in there and came right up. Is there any wood under the floor? I see that there are some flashing looking pieces that are screwed to the sides of the plywood that just lays up against the side.

Old 09-22-09, 06:04 PM
Those flashings might be all that is holding the floor in or else it screwed or rivited in.

There shouldn't be any other wood besides the floor and transome.

Old 09-23-09, 04:49 PM
what material would you use, marine plywood, exterior plywood, wolmanized? I'm, thinking marine if I can find it...

I found out that the flashing is only on one side and it is to hide the live well line. It looks like there is an indentation and ledge in the aluminum and I tried to lift the rear but it seems to be down tight. I may have to slash the carpet and see. It appears that the only sention of floor that is good is possibly the fishing deck and probably the floor of the storage under the fishing deck. I'm hoping that it comes out in enough of a piece that I can use it as a pattern.

I cleaned it out tonight and got a better idea of what I have, I'm feeling a little better about it now. I'm a little worried about getting the console out of the way, I found out that the steering cable is shot and the wiring looks like it was eaten by a rat..LOL The wiring is teh least of my worries.

Old 09-23-09, 08:43 PM
I would and do use marine plywood it cost about $ for a 4x8 sheet but it's a job I don't like to do twice.

I don't know for shure but I would expext to see foam under the floor that will be soaked and should also be replaced. For that yhere is a lot of debate what is best and what will work. Crestliner has a recall going on now and we are using a 2part spray foam used in isulating homes. That is what they sent to us to use. I would think about the insulatinf sheets you can get at hardware stoors, it might be cheaper. Another would be those water noodles kids play with Larson used those a few years ago for a simalar recall. and I'm using them in my viper.

This is a big job but doable in small sections and after you will have a strong boat and a great deal of pride even if your not catching fish.

Old 09-24-09, 05:44 PM
I pulled up my back half carpet today and it looks like a fairly easy job once everything is out of the way. It appears that there is a rivet on the outside edge on each side, I didn't see any in the middle.

Old 09-29-09, 07:18 PM
How is it coming? If you have a lot of vivits I would look into a cheap air riviter it makes life a lot easier.

Old 09-30-09, 03:54 PM
Progress is slow, I started to rip into it outside last weeekend and it rained all weekend. I did get the lights and wiring replaced. I took it today to the cover shop to get a new cover made. They will probably laugh when they see the turd that I'm trying to cover...LOL. I also removed the oxidation from the sides to make it look a little more presentable. I probably won't get to the floor and carpet until spring. The thought is that a new cover will protect what is left of the floor and rug hopefully resulting in a good pattern. At least now it's road worthy.

I'm waiting on a call from a motor guy who said that he had a good lower case, currently I pulled the lower unit. My guts are good but the case is cracked from the freeze. I plan to put in a new seal kit as it goes back together. I'll also need a starter bendix, needle and seat kits, and fuel pump diaphrams.... it never ends. I was suprised at just what was in that lower unit.

A friend told me a good one the other day, it may be old news to you guys... B.O.A.T... bust out another thousand! LOL

Old 09-30-09, 04:01 PM
Old 09-30-09, 06:56 PM
Looks good! A lot better condition than I had expected well worth the work.