does trailer color matter when in the water?

Old 09-27-09, 08:38 AM
does trailer color matter when in the water?

Kind of a noob question....I just got this boat and my trailer is in need of paint. Currently it is a combination of off-white and rust. I want to use something that will last and I was concidering using something like chassis saver. Unfortunately it only comes in gloss black, satin black and silver...no white. I'm wondering if it matters what color it is? Will it make it easier/harder to see when I try to load if it was painted dark? I see that some tracker trailers are black....maybe it doesn't matter... You opinion?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-09, 09:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the color is more of a personal preference or what the manufacturer uses to identify their product.

The important thing is to get rid of the rust by sanding, wire brushing, or grinding.Then prep the metal with a good primer before top coating it. If you have large bare areas after derusting, you may want to use a phosphoric acid rinse before priming.

Old 09-27-09, 12:05 PM
This Chassis Saver stuff is a product that I'm familliar with thru my involvement of car restoration. They claim that once it is on there it lasts forever..as it will on you if you don't get it off when it's wet. You put it right over bare metal, just knock off the loose stuff and put it on. It's good stuff as it should be at $35/quart! You paint it on with a foam brush and it levels its self and looks pretty good. I read more about it and I found out that the silver is a primer for the satin black. The gloss black is the only stand alone one step product. The only problem with this stuff is that you have to destroy the can to open it and you have to use it all once it is open.

My concern was seeing the trailer in murky water but I guess if I put on the side guide rollers as I want, it won't matter anyway.

Old 09-27-09, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just read up on chassis saver. Sounds like a good product. It is sensitive to sunlight and will fade from black to gray over time. Will not harm rust proofing qualities. It also says that you can overcoat it with automotive paint to whatever color you desire.

Old 09-27-09, 04:30 PM
The color doesn't matter in the water, you should see enough of it still out of the water.
Load guids are nice in the dark or on a windy day.