Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1996 50 HP Johnson no fire

10-07-09, 06:32 AM   #1  
1996 50 HP Johnson no fire

I've changed the coil and checked all the fuses and still have no fire. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be the problem? I thought maybe the key switch possibly.

Sponsored Links

NY

10-07-09, 06:04 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

Does it turn over? If so it's not the starter portion of the key switch. If you turn the switch to the on position you should see around 12 volts between the "IGN" terminal (or whatever the ignition terminal is labeled) and ground, using a multimeter set to DC voltage. That simply means the key switch is working.

By "no fire" do you mean you've pulled one of the spark plug wires, inserted a nail, and held it close to the head (with insulated pliers) while someone cranks the starter to verify that you have no spark?

Does the engine fire at all? How old is the gas? Have you sprayed starting fluid into the carb to see if it's bad gas or a fuel issue?

What prompted you to toss in a new coil?

10-09-09, 12:27 PM   #3  
Yea it turns over, and I've checked the gas and tried starting fluid and still it will not start. I checked both plugs before and after I changed the coil and still no fire. I thought that it could be in the safety feature on the switch (the one where if you have the cord attached to you and you fall out the motor cuts off) but I am not sure how I can check that. Changing the coil is where I thought I should start after I went through checking the gas and trying the starting fluid. Thanks.

MN

10-09-09, 07:54 PM   #4  
Your safty stop circuit wire is black with a yellow tracer. Unplug it from the engine I can't think right now where but look for the main harness and follow it back twords the cdi box. With it unpluged this will eliminate the "kill" switch.

What model is it?

As a general rule of thumb you can test the stator with a simple continuity test.

NY

10-09-09, 10:15 PM   #5  
I hope I didn't come off like a jerk, but I'm a cheapskate. I don't like to throw parts at a problem before fully troubleshooting it. Especially electrical parts, since they're mostly non-returnable.

I wasn't kidding about the nail substituting for a spark plug to check for spark. A good spark will jump 1/4 inch or more across open air from the nail to the head (or other metal ground).

10-10-09, 09:04 AM   #6  
No biggie Rick. Thanks for your help. Samuari I am going to try that later this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks guys.

Search this Thread