77' Merc 50hp short shaft parts on long shaft questions

Old 10-13-09, 05:50 PM
77' Merc 50hp short shaft parts on long shaft questions

I have a 77 Merc 500, Thunderbolt, long shaft, 50 hp, 4 cylinder that needs a lower unit. Mine has a 3" spacer between the lower unit and the vertical shaft cover. I was told that Merc did that for a short time that converted a short shaft to a long shaft or something like that. Can I use a short shaft lower unit and replace the studs with my long studs? I also noticed that there is an extension tube that comes up out of the lower unit for exhaust, can that be shortened or replaced too?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-09, 07:21 PM
Hay hotrod how's the project going?

I'm not shure about that gearcase.
I have never seen a driveshaft extention. There is also a shift shaft and the water tube.
I'm actually doing the opposit and switching from a 20" to a 15" on my little race boat.

Old 10-15-09, 03:41 PM
Project is almost at a standstill.... I'm demoing a 2 level deck and having another plus a roof built, it's Steelhead season and I'm away almost every weekend this month, my hotrod has the brake and booster system torn out of it and I need to get it on the road to put it in storage, and I can't seem to ever get home from work while it's still daylight...things are going slow.

I recently had a new mooring cover made for it, that went well and looks great. I am going tonight to a boat guys house that I know, we're going to look at his parts to see if anything will fit the lower end. He wants to sell me a blown 50hp for $500 to get the lower unit and starter, I really don't want to do that. Originally we were talking a $100 case and a seal rebuild all for $350, so we'll see what comes of it.

At least the boat is dry now and protected. Hopefully that will protect what is left of the floor and carpet to make a good pattern.

Old 10-15-09, 07:49 PM
I would wathc the classified ads and see what simalar motors are going for. I just sold a blown up 1999 150 optimax for $1000. You might find a running motor for $500.

I wish I had another 10 hours in a day, I work till 6 then side work on the way home after that there is no time to work in the shop.