Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mariner 135 id and inpeller replacement

11-30-09, 02:45 PM   #1  
Mariner 135 id and inpeller replacement

Hi--I have a Mariner V6 135 hp motor. I don't know the exact year but the serial number is OB374436. I took her out yesterday and she ran hot at idle after a good ride at at 3/4 throttle. From slow to full throttle she ran fine and at normal temperature. I am assuming that the impeller needs a change because I am sure it hasn't been replaced in years. here are my questions:
1) What year is the motor?
2) Am I correct in assuming it is the impeller causing the overheat at idle?
3) What else could cause the overheat?
4) Is there an on-line step by step procedure for changing the impeller?

I will be ordering a manual as soon as I know the year of the motor.
Thanks in advance! Bill

Sponsored Links

MN

11-30-09, 07:31 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forum

Looks like it's a 1988, does that sound right?

When your buying a manual I think the oem manuals are the way to go, there is more infomation in them.

I would look there first. The impeller should be changed every 2 years anyway so if you do it you know it's good.

12-01-09, 08:39 AM   #3  
Posted By: samuari Welcome to the forum

Looks like it's a 1988, does that sound right?

When your buying a manual I think the oem manuals are the way to go, there is more information in them.

I would look there first. The impeller should be changed every 2 years anyway so if you do it you know it's good.
Hi--Yes, the boat is a 1989 so a 1988 motor sounds correct. Thanks!

12-02-09, 09:38 AM   #4  
Hi--I've searched the web and found that the impeller replacement is a relatively simple task. I see that some people have a problem with getting the shaft to slide out when they remove the bottom end. Is there something I should know about this? Also, I figure this would be a good time to change the oil in the lower unit. Any suggestions on what brand of oil to use? Any tricks or suggestions on changing the oil? Thanks! Bill

MN

12-02-09, 08:50 PM   #5  
The impeller isn't too bad to do at home. The shift shaft will stay in the midsection you will just have to line it up when you put the case back up. The driveshaft will come out with the gearcase. When you put the driveshaft and gearcase back up the splines on the driveshaft will have to be alligned. A trick I use is to remove the prop, pull the safty lanyard so it doesn't start and have someone turn the engine over while putting upword pressure on the case. It will go easy till about 2" from seating this is where the splines meet. Once it's up in place and lined up it can be taken down about 1" and then you can be sure the shiftshaft is in place. Just don't force anything in or out, it will all come apart without force. There is also a hidden bolt under the round tourque tab at the back of the case.

For gear lube I only use mercury Hi performance but any good name brand marine gear lube will work. Just pull both plugs and fill in the bottom till it comes out the top. The only thing to worry about is air bubles in the lube, this will cause the level to be low once they come to the top.

Search this Thread