Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing lower unit on 1973 135 evinrude starflite

12-20-09, 07:16 PM   #1  
removing lower unit on 1973 135 evinrude starflite

ok guys i cant figure this out i got all the bolts off to drop the lowe end it will only come down about 2 inches its loose but something is holding it on i have reading over my shop manual and it has a picture of disconnecting the shift rod and something about the retaining screw where is this at i cant find it if is is by the carburator or what i cant find it and if it is where i think it is how in the heck does it come apart any help with this will be greatly appreciated about to pull my hair out!!!!

Sponsored Links

12-20-09, 08:39 PM   #2  
well i just got back in its dark out but i think i found it with my flashlight now here is what i see i know the shift rod goes from the lower unit and connects up under the motor right under the carbs now there is now way to unconnect this from what i see unless u can some how push the rod towords me and it disconnects that way this is hard to explain this this how it works there is a bolt i can remove so it will allow the lever to move and mayby slip it off the shift rod dont want to break anything thanks for any help at all

12-21-09, 12:34 PM   #3  
i got it figured out finally what direction is the new impeller suspose to go does it matter put it in and turn the drive shaft clockwise is that right and i noticed when i took the impeller housing off there were no gaskets any where is there suspose to be and at the tip of the shaft that goes into the motor is there suspose to be a o ring right below the splines

Last edited by tsherrill10; 12-21-09 at 02:20 PM.

12-21-09, 08:30 PM   #4  
one other thing there are two 3 inch long water tubes when i go to reinstall the lower unit do they need to be put on the water pump or inside on the water tubes.. i take it these are to help you line them up just dont know if i should stick them on the pump or on the tubes the pump meets with come on guys any advise at all would help me out

NY

12-22-09, 04:40 PM   #5  
I'm hoping samauri will come by soon. I'm not ignoring you, friend ... I just don't have that knowledge to pass on.

12-22-09, 06:28 PM   #6  
ok i dont expect a lot of people to know about this just thought i would give it a shot i will get it figured out sooner or later thanks for the reply rick

Search this Thread