Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Anyway to pump gas out of tank other than primer bulb?

01-08-10, 08:03 AM   #1  
Anyway to pump gas out of tank other than primer bulb?

What do people use to pump old gas out of a boat/RV/Snowmobile/etc fuel tank? I have used the primer bulb on my boat to pump out 5-8 gals of old gas from boat which took 20 mins and my hand hurt for a week. This ethenal gas is a recking ball to anything.

I have seen those plastic hand pumps that have no electrical conections but I bet you could get a static charge that could pop off a good spark that would end in tears....

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

01-08-10, 01:09 PM   #2  
If the hand pump is rated for gas, it should be safe. You could always whip up a ground connection to bond the pump surface with the boat tank and portable tank.
I don't drain the gas in the off season from my yard tractor or motorcycle. I just fill the tanks with a gas / stabilizer mix. A full tank, especially metal, is less likely to rust when full.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

NY

01-09-10, 12:12 AM   #3  
I use a drill pump attached to my cordless drill. It seems to run at about one gallon per minute. I also use it to drain the oil out of the inboard engines. Last spring I used it to drain the remainder of the water out of the above-ground pool after the siphon stopped. It took about an hour.

The drill is not ignition protected and its sparks will ignite the gasoline unless the hoses are long enough to keep it away from the source and destination tanks.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 06-20-12 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Add last line

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-09-10, 08:46 AM   #4  
You could use a low volume fuel injector pump. You can run a hose into the tank, have the pump hooked to the battery and an outlet into a container. They self prime and pump a good deal of fuel in a short period of time.

01-12-10, 11:04 PM   #5  
Electric car gas pump fills the generator on the back of the boat & pumps the water out of the tanks. As above, store tanks full with added gas stabalizer. Dont clip the wires on the battery any where near the gas. Used an extinguisher on a chap who tried that - no harm done gas was half water - and the chap was just embarassed.

01-13-10, 03:30 PM   #6  
Posted By: Jack McLeod Electric car gas pump fills the generator on the back of the boat & pumps the water out of the tanks.
Not sure what you meant here? "Electric car gas pump"

MN

01-15-10, 04:36 PM   #7  
I have also used a electric fuel pump to remove bad fuel. I hook it up to the hose feeding the engine, trying to get it down the filler hose is a pain. Just make sure it's a fuel pump and the leads are long, mine are 15' long so I'm not close to the fuel when I'm hooking up a batt.

01-19-10, 01:09 PM   #8  
Get One Of Those Blue Plastic Autosiphon Hoses At Lowes

Other places carry them but I know Lowes carries them, usually hanging somewhere on the end of an isle. You just jerk them up and down in the gas till it flows and off you go. I have 2 of em and even use mine to vaccum the bottom of my 50 gallon inboard tank if I slip an extension on it. They only cost about $8 and come in handy everywhere.

Search this Thread