Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1964 Johnson Super Sea Horse 75 HP

02-21-10, 09:21 AM   #1  
1964 Johnson Super Sea Horse 75 HP

MODELS: V4A-V4AL
Hello! Does anyone know how much one of these old motors would cost or how much if anything they are worth? I have a boat with this engine that needs some work and I am trying to determine if it is worth fixing or should I just get rid of it. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

CANADA

02-21-10, 11:11 AM   #2  
Welcome to our forums!

A motor like that would not be worth the cost of hauling it away.

If you were doing ALL the work yourself it could be worthwhile but parts availability would be your biggest issue to overcome.
If paying someone then for sure forget it.

You would have better luck to look at motors from no older than the eighties if you wanted an inexpensive motor that you should be able to find parts for.
Not sure if there is going to be problems down the road but Johnson outboard motors are no longer produced and you could have some parts difficulties even on newer engines.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

MN

02-21-10, 01:46 PM   #3  
I think Greg prity much summed it up. A newer motor will be money well spent unless you can and like to work on your own motor.

I don't recognize those model #'s but I'm not up on the older outboards.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-23-10, 06:39 PM   #4  
With all due respect, I beg to differ with the other posters. 1950-60 model Johnson/Evinrude motors are probably the best built motors to date. The modern motors have a built in obsolescence that makes them more expensive from the beginning (not to mention the initial cost, which is usurious). The ones I have owned crank the first time, every time, and require minimal maintenance. Parts are available, while finding junk engines helps with spare parts on a larger scale such as foot assemblies, etc.
Good luck with your venture. Sorry I'm not sure what the value would be, and your profile doesn't tell us where you are located. If you are in a coastal or lake area, you could possibly get help from older "motor heads".

UT

09-19-12, 01:54 PM   #5  
Hello,
I have the same motor I found on a boat In a barn in Idaho,Got it for a song wanted the hull.Guy said it barely ran..after a little research i dove in to it and for the cost of about 100.00 bucks the motor runs awesome...mines a 1963 and you can find parts and books on them.if you don"t mind working on it and having fun learning about it they are pretty basic....if not sell it online..plenty of people restoring vintage boats rather than spending $60,000 on a new Mastercraft....good luck..see you on the water.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-19-12, 03:18 PM   #6  
Welcome to the forums! Finding a gem and polishing it to perfection is nice. Glad you were able to see through the dirt and get it running.

Search this Thread