86 2.3 penta... im confused

Old 04-04-10, 05:17 AM
86 2.3 penta... im confused

I recently bought a 1986 bayliner capri w/ 2.3l 4 cyl eng w/275 outdrive. This is where I get confused... runs awesome out of water in gear or in neutral, put it in water w/ prop down, it misses and back fires carb smells very rich. immediately raise the prop runs awesome tachs up to 5000+ rpm lower prop same thing. my first thought was that the water was coming too far into the exhaust neck not allowing engine to breathe, so i removed rubber exhaust coupling. no change. so now im thinking timing. any advice will be extremely helpful

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-10, 01:50 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I like those motors, they generally run nice and smooth.
What is most likely happening is it's dropping a cly under load. First take a compression test to be sure you have a healthy motor to start with. After good even compression is confirmed get a tune up kit with everything points, condenser, cap, rotor and spark plugs, inspect the wires. I would bet a good tune up will take care of this.

Old 04-04-10, 04:07 PM
samuri, thanks for the advice, the plug wires points and plugs are all new. I have checked the gapping on the points. the only odd thing i have noticed is that when #1cyl is @tdc the rotor button is pointing just before #1 on the cap, and the points are open. am I correct in thinking that the rotor button should be pointing directly @ #1 & the points should be closed? also i am not sure on the firing order. most 4cyl engs are 1342 firing order but the only way that i can get mine to run is oddly a 1234 firing pattern. so something is definately messed up somewhere. this is where i get lost......................

Old 04-05-10, 03:17 PM
thanks for the advice

samuri, thanks for the advice. since my last post i have discovererd that when #1 is @ tdc none of the other marks line up. almost 180 out. Hopefulyy I have found the problem. now on to the task of not messing anything up. should i remove the head for valve clearance? thanks again for the help

Old 04-05-10, 07:22 PM
You should be fine without pulling the valve cover. If timing is off or out of order it can sound good without a load on it but once you load it it will misfire.

There was something odd about those motors, I think it was in the ignition. I have only worked on a couple of those.

Last edited by samuari; 04-05-10 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-06-10, 04:58 AM
timing solved almost everything

after aligning all the timing marks the boat run much better. still has a little hesitation. but i think that may be in the point gap. my main problem now is that oil is coming out ot hte blowby tube. there is no pcv valve. I hope replacement will solve. its great to have a resource like this forum to throw around ideas and get good advice. thanks for all the helpBeer 4U2Beer 4U2Beer 4U2

Old 04-06-10, 05:24 PM
Sounds like your on the right path. You could try and run some evinrude engine tuner through the motor to get rid of most of the carbon build up and you should notice a difference after.

Thanks for the thanks we are here to helpBeer 4U2