Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mercury 50 four stroke

LA

04-08-10, 05:53 AM   #1  
Mercury 50 four stroke

Hello,

I have a Mercury 50hp four stroke engine on my alumacraft boat. I have two questions concerning this engine:

1.) There is a threaded hole where the water pump pushing water during operation. Can I hook up a hose and flush here instead of using the ear muffs on the lower unit?

2.) There is an emergency cord attached at the throttle/transmission handle next to the steering wheel. How do I re-attach this cord if it accidentally gets pulled out?

THanks,

Joey

Sponsored Links

MN

04-08-10, 08:24 PM   #2  
We don't flush our motors up here so I'm just going by memory.
On some models there is a threaded plug next to the tell tale outlet for flushing, you can't run the engine like this just flush. You can't flush back in through the tell tale.

If it's a merc control box the emergency stop switch is just a regular toggle switch with the plastic around it, the plastic holds the lanyard in place. Once the lanyard is pulled it just flips the switch. once pulled the switch will be down just put the plastic end up into place and flip the switch up.
If the switch gets pushed up without the lanyard in place you can't easily get to the switch, so they put the slot on the top of the plastic. Use your key to push the switch down then insert your lanyard.
I hope this helps.

Search this Thread