Engine on Bass Boat Running Hot

Old 04-05-10, 11:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Engine on Bass Boat Running Hot

Want to know why a 150 Mercury Black Max Outboard Engine on a Astro Bass Boat is running hot? It takes about 3 minutes before water comes out of the telltail. After driving the boat about a 1/4 of mile, the temperature guage increases to hot and will not cool down and the beeper will not stop beeping. When I touch the water coming out of the telltale is extremely hot.

Is there a thermostat on the motor that could be sticking and if so where is the thermostat?

Old 04-05-10, 07:26 PM
S
Welcome to the board.

The first thing I would look at is the impeller in the gearcase. If it hasn't been changed in the last 2 years replace it.

The tell tale on those are coming off the thermostats so it won't come out until they open.

Do you have a water pressure gauge?

Old 04-09-10, 12:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I suppose you have to open up the lower drive unit to inspect and replace the impeller. I've never done that but I'm beyond your two year suggested service interval.

How much of a job is it to open those up and replace the impeller?

Old 04-09-10, 08:00 PM
S
The difficulty depends on the brand, Mercs and yamaha's are fairly easy, omc's can be a little more of a challenge. Whatever brand it is a novice can do it in a afternoon, after doing a bunch of them it can be done in 1/2 hour.

It is one of those things that if you have it apart it's worth just replacing rather than inspecting.

The impeller is in a housing on the top of the gearcase so you don't actually take the gearcase apart.

Old 05-06-10, 04:07 PM
L
Originally Posted by samuari
The difficulty depends on the brand, Mercs and yamaha's are fairly easy, omc's can be a little more of a challenge. Whatever brand it is a novice can do it in a afternoon, after doing a bunch of them it can be done in 1/2 hour.

It is one of those things that if you have it apart it's worth just replacing rather than inspecting.

The impeller is in a housing on the top of the gearcase so you don't actually take the gearcase apart.

They're not too terrible to do like Samurai said. My Johnson 120 water pump takes me an hour to do or so. I trim the engine all the way up to do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: