Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

A little project I've been working on

MN

05-16-10, 08:20 PM   #1  
A little project I've been working on

This is a 1977 hydrostream viper I bought out of a farmers pasture, it was in real rough shape and needed a complete restoration. I started on it almost a year and a half ago and i'm close to being done. I did all the work on it myself in my garage at home with a lot of trial and error, sometimes more error than trial. I have about 500 hours in it.
This is it on the day I brought it home.

These boats have a bulsa wood core that all had to come out.

I made my own vacuum pump to suck the bulsa down so there is no air under it, this is all the new bulsa in.

I cut the splashwell out in order to replace the transom so I made this flat panel instead or putting the splashwell back in.

The gel coat was so cracked up I got the bright idea to sand it all off and repaint with interlux epoxy, I had about 100 hours in this alone.

This is going to be set up as a drag race boat with center steering so I filled in all the holes in the dash. At this point I vividly remember all the sanding I did on the bottom so I figured I would try something unique and bought some carbon fiber for the top. I first gel coated it black then started to lay out the carbon.

I used three colors of carbon to break up the body lines. There was still a lot of sanding but after getting some clear gel coat on it this weekend it was well worth it.

This will be powered by a 2.4 liter mariner 200 with a 130 hp nitrous kit from nitrox and will be raced in a 95mph class.

Sponsored Links

NY

05-17-10, 03:36 AM   #2  
Chet, that's amazing work! You should post it in the Did It Myself section.

I'm currently restoring an '87 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, but its bones are in very good shape. All of the restoration is cosmetic.

MN

05-17-10, 06:46 PM   #3  
Thanks Rick. I'm pleased with the outcome, now I just hope it's fast but a 15' boat that weighs under 500 lbs with over 300 HP should get on plane fine.

I took pictures and posted on a hydrostream site almost daily, and I just put some pictures in the I did it myself section. I will keep that updated.

Is your project on there? I'll look for it.

Group Moderator

MN

05-17-10, 07:11 PM   #4  
Nice work!

Dumb question: Wouldn't the ripples of the carbon fiber create drag?

Nevermind. I read your posting the I did it myself section and found the fiber is on the top of the hull.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

MN

05-17-10, 08:52 PM   #5  
Like you said it's just on the top, and with the clear gel coat being so thick I will be sanding it to a smooth mirror finish.

NY

05-18-10, 03:50 AM   #6  
Posted By: samuari Is your project on there?
No, I didn't even think about taking photos before we started.

Search this Thread