Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mercruiser power steering pump

PA

05-27-10, 09:54 PM   #1  
Mercruiser power steering pump

I would like to replace my 228 Mercruiser/305 chevy v8 power steering pump. I have a 1979 century. can I just buy an automotive pump from NAPA?

If not, where can I get one at a decent price?

also, where can I get tune up specs for this engine.....point gap, and timing. Is there an online manual for this engine and outdrive?

thanks in advance

Ed Washington, PA

Sponsored Links

NY

05-28-10, 04:50 AM   #2  
As a general rule automotive parts are never used in marine applications. In this case you'll probably be okay, though. No ignition protection is needed, so the only thing you may have to deal with is that it won't last as long as a pump designed for marine use.

Look on top of one of the valve covers. Merc puts a sticker there that tells you the spark gap, dwell, timing, etc.

In any case, as a DIYer with a 1979 boat, I think I'd spend the $40 for a service manual. Here's a link.

PA

05-28-10, 10:41 AM   #3  
thanks for getting back to me. a manuel is a good idea.

one of my worries with the automotive power steering pump was the pressure output....I wonder if its in the same range as what the steering cylinder on the boat uses?

NY

05-29-10, 06:08 AM   #4  
Yes it is. In fact, I found out that it is an automotive pump that's been treated and painted to resist corrosion.

Why do you want to change it? Is it leaking?

PA

05-29-10, 07:07 PM   #5  
No the pump is not leaking. What happens is that when the engine is idling, if I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, the motor stalls. Just to the left. I thought that a pump newer than the 1979 one on the boat, might not do that.

This is a problem when docking especially when you use extreme steering in close quarters.....a stall out at the wrong moment is not good!

I figure the real problem might be in the steering cylinder/control, but I know nothing about them, and thought a new, stronger pump might just make the problem go away.

Have you ever heard of this problem?

MN

05-29-10, 10:50 PM   #6  
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure the pressure relief is in the pump itself. A $50 pump sure beats a $300 actuator.

NY

05-30-10, 05:55 AM   #7  
That stalling happened on my '86 Four Winns. The pump worked harder when the steering ram was at an extreme, causing the engine to lose revs. I chalked it up to not enough torque at idle and lived with it (rarely turning the wheel all the way to the left).

Then one year I nailed the tuning to perfection and the engine did not stall. It balked a bit, but didn't quit.

Thing is, mine was a 4-cyl 170. Yours is a 228 V8. Although GM V8's aren't known for their low-end torque, you'd think they would be able to handle a power steering pump.

I think you'll find that a new pump will act the same way as the old one.

PA

05-30-10, 06:46 AM   #8  
I am in the process of tuning now. If the stall still happens, I might try increasing the idle rpm a bit.

I have thought that a new pump might do the same thing, but for the price, its worth a shot.

thanks for your input

Ed

Search this Thread