Recovering Boat seats and chairs

Old 06-01-10, 07:46 PM
Recovering Boat seats and chairs

I recently purchased a 21 foot pontoon boat that is in pretty bad shape so I am renovating it. I have some leather i was going to upholster bar stools with however now I am thinking about using it on my boat seats. I did not know what good boat upholstery is and if leather is a good all weather material. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-10, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Hi and welcome to the forum! I don't think leather is a good choice for outdoor, especially boats. Use either Sunbrella or vinyl.

Old 06-03-10, 03:42 AM
It would really be a waste of the leather to use it on a boat. Although it would look rich, it wouldn't last too long. Use it on your bar stools where you can enjoy your work for a decade or more.

Sea Quest is the brand of vinyl we used. I took the seats apart and cut new bottoms from marine plywood. My wife took the old vinyl apart and used it as templates to cut the new. We took it to an upholstery shop to have it stitched. The small mom 'n' pop shop did a fantastic job and only charged us $25 to sew three seat bottoms and a 36x20 cushion. We're taking the rest of it to the shop a bit at a time over the summer.

Old 06-28-10, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Although the leather would look really good, it is not going to last. The exposure to the sun and the water will ruin the leather. You will be replacing the seats before you know it. Use the leather on the bar stools like you had originally planned. I think you will be happier in the long run.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-28-10 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising not allowed.

Search this Thread