figuring steering cable length

Old 06-08-10, 03:24 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
figuring steering cable length

I found the website that instructs the A-B-C measurement, measure, deduct 6" for transom mount, and round to the next foot. My A-B-C measurement is 159" so -6" rounded up is 13'. Does this sound right for a 16' side console Sylvan? I surely dont want to be short! Is it not important to keep the cable as straight and direct as possible or if I went to 14' and it was too long it would still work?

Old 06-09-10, 03:13 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As long as your measurements are correct it should be fine. If it's too long you'll have to take up the overage somehow, and that's not easy. It doesn't like to bend on a small radius. Is there a part number on the old one?

You can also use a garden hose to check the measurement. Lay it out in the boat as if it was the steering cable.

Old 06-09-10, 05:16 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I lookd at the cut up old one last night and I knew that it had some hard to read writings on it, I never bothered to look before. The cable has "13 foot" printed right on it which is a suprise, I recall it fitting poorly as if it were a few feet too long. I guess that answers the question of what to buy.

Looking at the old installation probably isn't a good indicator since it was binding, the sheath was compromised, and it had been "field repaired" at least once by the previous owner. I just got this boat from a neighbor and I am in the process of rebuilding it and making a lot that is wrong right again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: