Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing a transom, what a job, any words of wisdom?

PA

06-10-10, 06:38 PM   #1  
removing a transom, what a job, any words of wisdom?

I pulled the motor, removed the top caps and corner braces, got all the screws out, now the fun begins!

Half of the transom is mush, the other half is swolen. The mush side falls apart and wont give me enough grip to hook it and leverage the rest out. What a P.I.T.A, any words of wisdom? The swolen side won't move, the mush side is coming out a piece at a time.....somewhat..

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

CANADA

06-10-10, 07:16 PM   #2  
Pretty hard to offer advice without a detailed description of what you are working on.

By your description I might guess you are working on an aluminum boat?
Pictures would help.
You can put them on a free host like Photo Bucket and provide a link.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

MN

06-10-10, 08:55 PM   #3  
Run a saw down in between the aluminum as long as you are sure you got everything out. It's still not going to be a easy job but it will be rewording once finished.

PA

06-11-10, 05:10 AM   #4  
I'm sure everything is out, it appears that it is swolen in the lower channel and on the right side channel. The left side is out, I probably have 12" removed top to bottom. I guess I was having dilusions of grandure when I thought that I would slide most of it out to use it for a pattern....LOL

PA

06-11-10, 06:49 PM   #5  
UPDATE: IT's OUT! I had to chew up about 1/3 of it with a wonder bar and a hammer removing a handful of wood at a time. After that I was able to hook the remainder and pull 2/3 out in one piece!

Search this Thread