Transom from marine plywood vs ACX, both coated with epoxy, which is better

Old 06-14-10, 04:59 PM
Transom from marine plywood vs ACX, both coated with epoxy, which is better

Just when I thought that I had this all figured out, a boat builder threw a wrench in on me. His words of wisdom were that marine plywood is treated with some sort of an oil therefore any coatings will not adhere well. His direction is a good grade of ACX coated with epoxy resin thinned with Acetone is better than marine. Everything that I have heard up till now was marine was the best choice and I never heard of any problems with adhesion.

Your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-10, 09:23 PM
That is the first I have ever heard of oil on or in marine plywood, I sure hope not I have well over 500 hours in my restoration project and hope not to have to do it again.

I sent a PM.

Old 06-16-10, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by HotRod53F100 View Post
Just when I thought that I had this all figured out, a boat builder threw a wrench in on me. His words of wisdom were that marine plywood is treated with some sort of an oil therefore any coatings will not adhere well. His direction is a good grade of ACX coated with epoxy resin thinned with Acetone is better than marine. Everything that I have heard up till now was marine was the best choice and I never heard of any problems with adhesion.

Your thoughts?
From what I've seen, most "marine" plywood is clear-grade pine or fir with no knots and not treated. However, I have seen plywood sold as "marine" plywood which is an imported south american or african specie made into plywood. These imported species tend to be very greasy woods and most solvent-based products will not adhere because the solvent softens/loosens the natural oils in the wood leaving the finish sticky.. (I work with many imported wood species since I do Hardwood Flooring as a living) FWIW - Plywood is plywood. its heavy, and strong. Use a good clean grade of pine (I used BC grade sanded plywood) plywood. Cut it to the proper size and put two coats of some cheap big-box-store waterbased polyurethane on it and put it in. If you do it right, it shouldn't ever get wet and rot. This is what I did in my boat.