How is your outboard clamped to your wood transom?

Old 07-04-10, 08:03 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How is your outboard clamped to your wood transom?

When I removed my outboard, the Merc has what looks like a round ball on the end of the clamping screw. The round ball was put in the center of a flat washer and was somewhat burried in the wood of my old rotted transom.

I see that Overtons sell a "transom support plate", this thing looks like a fancy aluminum flat bar with shallow holes milled in it to receive the ball end clamp bolts. Thsis sounds like a good idea when remounting my outboard to my nice new transom. How is yours on and what is between your mounting screws and the wood?

Also, is your outboard mounted with the top clamps AND bolts on the bottom? Mine was clamped and has holes in the motor bracket for bottom bolts but were unused. I guess it wouldn't matter as long as you were going forward, the bottom bolts would only come into play when going in reverse.

Last edited by LyndMc; 07-04-10 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-04-10, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Your clamping screws are missing the flexible round disk.
It is the same set up as on the end of the tightening screw on a C clamp.

Image courtesy of wikipedia.com

Here is what you are referring to and this is for through bolts on larger motors, not screw type clamps.

Image courtesy of overtons.com

If you have the spacing you could install a piece of 1/2" outdoor rated plywood across the inside of the transom where the motor attaches.
You could continue to use a washer or replace the clamp bolts.

If your motor stays on the boat the washers would be fine.

Old 07-04-10, 12:52 PM
L
Yep, you're exactly right. Wonder if I can make something or even a piece of aluminum flat stock across there? Not sure if I have room for more wood, will have to measure.

Old 07-04-10, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Aluminum would work, I just like using wood as you will get a slight indentation from the clamps making the motor a bit more secure.

Is this motor on the boat permanently or do you take it on/off each use?
If permanent, drilling the transom and bolting the motor as well as using the clamps would make it quite secure.

Old 07-04-10, 05:34 PM
L
The original owner had a 9.9 that he threw on here once in a while and I may do the same. It came from Sylvan using just the two clamp screws as far as I can tell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: