Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is my trolling battery shot?

PA

06-20-10, 09:05 AM   #1  
Is my trolling battery shot?

My deep cycle battery is probably 4-5 years old, it has only been used 2-3 times each year. After use I recharged it before storage and checked the charge before using it again. As it sat over the winter in my garage, I pulled it out once in a while and topped it off.

Up until now I have only had a small 12' aluminum with a trolling motor, once I get my 16' finished I will use one on there. I'm going on a camping trip next week and was going to take the 12 footer, I may have to reconsider if my battery is shot.

I put the charger on it on Saturday and it drew next to nothing. My boys took the battery and when they tried to use it was dead. I put it on a charger yesterday and it drew about 2 amps. If I leave it on, is there a chance that it was just in deep discharge and it could come back, or is it toast?

Sponsored Links

MN

06-20-10, 09:57 AM   #2  
The only good way to tell is to have it fully charged and load tested. keep in mind if you are using a automatic charger they will not start to charge if the battery voltage is too low. I will take a jump pack to the battery for about a minute with the charger on it.

4-5 years is about the average age that they will last or about 500 charge cycles. It sounds like you will need to replace it.

Search this Thread