which marine battery is best, sealed or capped?

Old 06-23-10, 06:16 AM
which marine battery is best, sealed or capped?

I'm buying a new deep cycle battery, I see two types, one is sealed and one has caps on it like a regular car battery. Is there any advantage to one over the other? Obviously there is less chance of a spill with a sealed battery, but if you can monitor the water level would it last longer? If it's sealed maybe the water level never changes and then it wouldn't matter?

I'm looking at the Sears and Batteries Plus models. I think that Wally Mart and Sams Club has them too.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-10, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by HotRod53F100 View Post
I'm buying a new deep cycle battery, I see two types, one is sealed and one has caps on it like a regular car battery. Is there any advantage to one over the other? Obviously there is less chance of a spill with a sealed battery, but if you can monitor the water level would it last longer? If it's sealed maybe the water level never changes and then it wouldn't matter?

I'm looking at the Sears and Batteries Plus models. I think that Wally Mart and Sams Club has them too.
IMO the new gel batteries are the best, and they are supposed to last longer than regular batteries and they hold there charge longer, which is good for marine use. I would stay far far away from ANY battery sold by walmart. The gel batteries dont have water in them so theres no monitoring or spillage to worry about.

Old 06-23-10, 04:12 PM
I did a comparison between WalMart, Sears, Batteries Plus, Cabellas, Gander Mountain, and Advance Auto. The clear winner was Batteries Plus.....

Their battery was sealed, size 31T, CCA 700, MCA 840. All specs were just slightly above the rest, the price was about the same and had a $10 rebate making it cheaper. The down side, the handle on the battery sucks, 2 ropes on the sides with a rubber pad, not the full length strap or handle like most others.

Old 06-23-10, 07:31 PM
I see a lot of batteries of all brands and I will only buy interstate "witch wall mart sells I think. I'm not saying I would buy one from there but...

Anyways I replace a lot of optima batteries at about 2 years old and they are way more expensive than the standard maintenance free batts.

One more thing to look at is the warranty is it full replacement or pro rated. We sell a cheaper off brand that has a full 2 year replacement warranty, the quality isn't the best but the warranty makes up for it.

Search this Thread