Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Leaky Tracker

CO

06-24-10, 03:20 PM   #1  
Leaky Tracker

I have Tracker Pro Deep V16 aluminum. It leaks about 10-15 gallons per fishing day. Today I filled it with water on the trailer and watched. There are several rivets in the forward section that leak a little. I think I can mitigate that with some silicone. The worst rivet is accompanied by a small crack in the alum. Can I get away with a 2-3 sq in fiberglass patch? I just have no idea whether fiberglass will adhere to aluminum. Thanks for any good ideas out there.

Sponsored Links

MN

06-24-10, 08:26 PM   #2  
Sand the area with a real heavy grit paper like 36 and use a product called marine text. It's a real strong epoxy that will hold a lot better than silicone.

CO

06-25-10, 07:26 AM   #3  
I read your response

Is "marine text" the exact product name? I Googled it and nothing came up. I live in Boulder CO, which is a wasteland for power boat stuff. The closest marine dealers are 25-40 miles away in Denver. I'd like to buy on the internet. Thanks, you have helped me in the past.

MN

06-25-10, 08:55 PM   #4  
I was wrong it's marine tex. I have it as a filler on my gearcase that is below the water at over 90 MPH and it holds up fine. It real strong and made for under water use.

PA

06-28-10, 03:13 PM   #5  
Marine-Tex is great stuff, it looks and smells like JB weld when its mixed but I can vouch for its use. I fixed some holes in a 12' aluminum boat 5 years ago and it's still leak free. I also found that if you have seams that leak such as around the bottom of a transom, Gorilla Glue works wonders.

http://www.marinetex.com/

Super Moderator

CANADA

06-28-10, 07:17 PM   #6  
I also have a leaky Tracker.

If you drill a very small hole at the end of the crack before you seal it you would prevent it from spreading.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Search this Thread