motor getting hot

Old 06-24-10, 04:26 PM
Cool motor getting hot

I got the boat out this weekend and hit something with the prop and bent it up pretty good. After the next day i noticed the temp guage going up fast. Shut down the motor and got towed back. the next morning I checked to see if there was anything blocking the ports and it looked fine. When it started i heard a squelling noise that went away after a minute of warming up. Went across the lake and the temp guage went back up. I replaced the impeller last year and was thinking the noise might be the the water pump on the motor going out. Will the water pump make a noise before it goes out?
I also noticed a small melted piece of plastic where the water comes out by the prop but I have no idea what it may have went to.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-10, 08:23 PM
What motor do you have?

You might want to check for a bent propshaft as well.

Old 06-24-10, 08:38 PM
I got a 5.8L OMC.
i haven't checked to see if the shaft is bent but I'll do that.

Old 06-25-10, 08:49 PM
I can't think of any cooling related problems from hitting something unless it hit real hard.

One thing if if it runs cool as long as your not on plane might be a air leak from between the halves of the gearcase.

I would check the impeller and thermostat.

Old 06-26-10, 05:46 AM
thanks for the replies Samurai. I wasn't thinking it had anything to do with hitting the something with the prop but just put it in there because it happened the day before it got hot.
i checked the impeller and it is in good shape. i was thinking the thermostat is either sticking closed or the water pump on the front of the motor is bad. It seems like when my water pump went out on my truck it also made a squelling noise.
Is there any reason I can't put an automotive water pump on the motor?

Old 06-26-10, 03:55 PM
I have never used a automotive pump but I don't see why you couldn't. It sure would be a lot cheaper.

Old 06-30-10, 06:29 PM
OK I pulled out the thermostat housing and the thermostat look to be shot. One of the clips had popped off the spring.
One thing I noticed was no water in the housing. I did not know if that was normal.

Old 06-30-10, 08:40 PM
Water can drain from the housing since it's not a closed system like a car has.