Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Difficult steering

WA

06-28-10, 07:39 AM   #1  
Difficult steering

I have a 2001 Reinell 205BR with an stern drive assembly. I'm finding the steering (particularly at slow speeds) difficult to turn and it feels like it is pulling to port (at times dramatically). What's weird is that it's not a consistent problem -- it comes and goes. Sometimes the steering is difficult until I get up on plane, sometime it's just find, sometimes it's difficult after it's on plane.

Any ideas on what I should check?

Is there a concern with continueing to use the boat in this condition (when the problem comes up, it feels like a loss of power steering would on a car).

Thanks

Sponsored Links

MN

06-28-10, 08:20 PM   #2  
There are a couple possibilities. I would disconnect the steering cable from the actuator to make sure it moves free. If that's fine I would look at the pump itself, check for low fluid and it should be a red color and not smell burnt at all. If it smells burnt replace the pump.

WA

06-29-10, 02:04 PM   #3  
Make sure I understand the trouble shooting recommendations:

1. Disconnect the cable from the actuator. Remove the codder pin from the backside of the steering wheel actuator and remove cable or unscrew the cable back at the engine compartment?

2. Where do I find the power steering fluid resevoir? The one I can easily find, I believe is the power trim unit? Is there a dipstick on the engine?

It's a 4.3 GL with an SX drive.

Thanks

MN

06-29-10, 06:28 PM   #4  
You are correct about the cable and the actuator. Although I dought it's the cable but just something to check.

The pump and reservoir are one unit on the front of the motor and is belt driven.

Search this Thread