Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

My Merc power cable looks bad, need your opinion

PA

07-06-10, 06:19 PM   #1  
My Merc power cable looks bad, need your opinion

My red power cable looks bad and probably should be replaced. I think that the cable may have laid in the water before I started to restore the boat. The insulation is bleached out almost white and some of it is coming off. It may be good under the sheath that houses all of the cables. It looks like goes right into the plug that hooks to the outboard and the plug appeard to be molded. I looked on Ebay but didn't see any replacements.

I have some 3M rubber vulcanizing tape that may fix it, but it may not be the best choice...your opinion?

Sponsored Links

MN

07-06-10, 08:28 PM   #2  
If the insulation is cracking replace it, corrosion will set in soon if it hasn't already.

PA

07-07-10, 06:22 AM   #3  
Corrosion has already set in, I can see it. Are these assembly something that is available or can I get in there and replace the red cable? The red wire is the battery cable and appears to be molded into the plug. If that won't come out then does it mean that i need all new controls?

MN

07-07-10, 09:19 PM   #4  
I'm guessing that the harness goes into the side of the motor. If it is I haven't worked on one of those but I bet you will need to buy the harness and it will have connectors for inside the control box.

IN

07-17-10, 02:13 PM   #5  
I had the same thing years ago. I used liquid tape and after it set up, covered that with electrical tape. I can't remember how long it's been since I did that, but the motors is 45 years old and the cable still does the job.

Search this Thread