Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ideling on my 402

CANADA

07-17-10, 04:20 PM   #1  
Ideling on my 402

I replaced the step switch on my 402 Series 714971 It starts with no problum but will only idel for aproximately 8 minuts then it cuts out when this happens the primer bulb is only 1/2 full
I red sum where that if the fule pump check valve was not holding this could cause problums like this does any one have any comments about this problum

Thanks for any help
Petrie

Sponsored Links

MN

07-17-10, 05:10 PM   #2  
I'm not sure what make or model the 402 is but as a general rule the primer bulb will not stay hard.

The function of the primer bulb is to fill the carburetor with fuel, the bulb will get hard as the carb fills and the needle is seated causing fuel pressure in the fuel line from the primer bulb to the carb. Once the motor is up and running the fuel pump takes the place of the bulb and keeps fuel pressure between it and the carb. As it is doing this there is a vacuum from the inlet of the fuel pump to the fuel tank itself often causing the bulb to go soft.

One thing to look for is if the primer bulb begins to collapse, this is often caused by a restriction between the tank and the bulb itself.

Will it stay running if you prime the bulb while it's running?
What is the step switch?

CANADA

07-19-10, 04:46 AM   #3  
The motor is a 402 40Hp murcury serial 33390977 The serial No. in first post is not right sorry
The step switch is the Thunderbolt type Rectifier
On the Crowley Site parts list it is called a step switch under ignition coil and swithbox

The primer bulb reacts just as you discribed it
the enguine dose not continue to run by squeesing the bulb but the enguine will start up right away with out any hesitation

MN

07-20-10, 07:45 PM   #4  
I would not suspect a ignition problem right away, I would look at the fuel system or maybe ignition timing.

What rpm is it idling at?
Does the problem only happen at a low idle or at higher rpm's as well?

CANADA

08-01-10, 06:07 AM   #5  
Hi Samuari
Near the end of the season the engine stoped runing on ckecking it out I found the stater wire insulation cracked in a lot of places and dried out so I tryed to remove it so that I could cover it with shrink rap but while doing this the wire fell apart in my hand so I salved as close to the Flywheel as posible soldered a new piece of No.16 gauge copper wire to it I had to do this to bouth leeds
After I did this the motor started without any problums this spring the motor would not start because the step switch was not firing on one cylinder
I replaced it and since then *I have this new problum
after talking with the mechanic at the local boat shop he tells me that I have changed the resistance from the stater and am now supplying to much current to the step switch and that it is casuing the switch to over heat and montarly cut out then when it cools down it will start agin
Any Comments
Petrie

Search this Thread