A few questions-1992 Lowe 2220 Deckboat-rivet city!

Old 07-30-10, 11:56 AM
A few questions-1992 Lowe 2220 Deckboat-rivet city!

Hello,
I noticed at least 10 rivets leaking out water this morning when I took my boat out of the lake. Should I replace them or use a sealant? I got some underwater JB Weld but was told it will crack and break off with the water beating against it. Anyone tried it for the bottom of their boat? Has anybody ever used Gluv-it on their aluminum hull? Inclined to do a quick fix for now. Also after a week of being in the water it is scum city so what does anyone recommend for washing and taking the lake grime off with? Thanks!

Last edited by Rider93hawg; 07-30-10 at 11:57 AM. Reason: repeated same phrase
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-10, 12:52 PM
As you think, a quick fix is just that. The sealer or anything else you smear around and over the rivets is just temporary.
Depends on how long you wanna wait to replace those rivets.
Some guys around here have gone to welding the rivets on both the top and bottom sides.
Around here we use a product called MEAN GREEN to clean the scummy boat. It come in a spray bottle and we use it full strength. Let it set a while then scrub it with a brush and rinse off. Keeping the whole thing damp helps a bunch, so don't pull the boat out of the water until you are ready to clean it. Or wet it down before you start.

Old 08-02-10, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the input. I read some good reviews on G-Flex 650 so I am going to try that to get me through the rest of the season. Come winter I will drill and re-rivet.