Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

6hp Yamaha dies out unless choked in and out

MA

08-12-10, 08:56 AM   #1  
6hp Yamaha dies out unless choked in and out

'86 Yamaha outboard ran fine since I had it for 8 years...still starts on first pull but after it ran for 10 minutes it died and no it dies out after two seconds unless I pull out choke...then it kicks back in (2 secs) then I put choke in...it kicks in for 2 seconds...etc, etc,. t will run on fast if choke is delicately placed half way or so...but will die once I turn speed to slow.
I checked the filter...full with gas...checked the external fuel line from the external tank...flowing fine...even swapped with another to be sure...I slowly adjusted the rich/lean screw....no difference at all. I figure it may be a stuck float or perhaps the Ethenol has clogged something?
Is it worth it to buy a rebuilt carb kit...($33) or just clean it up but I would need to wrestle the old carb out....it looks pretty tough to get at....not sure I could do it. Or should I try something else??? Any advise would really be great.

Sponsored Links

IL

08-12-10, 10:12 AM   #2  
I think your suspicions are correct. There is something clogging the fuel delivery in or 2 the carb. Are you sure the fuel line and pump up bulb are in good shape? If you are running much ethanol then it could be bad. I would try a different fuel line and pump bulb first. Then if it still does not run you are gonna have to take the carb off and see what the problem is with it. It may just be plugged up with something or it may need a kit in it. You can't tell until you take it apart. Rather you buy the kit before or after you see what the problem is would be up to you but if it was me I would rebuild it while I had it off.

MA

08-12-10, 10:27 AM   #3  
Ya, as I said, I did already try another external fuel line and the problem still exists. You are correct about it maiking more sense taking off the carb and cleaning it first...only two questions on that....how to get at it (looks impossible) and how do you clean it/inspect it?

MN

08-12-10, 08:37 PM   #4  
I would get the rebuild kit, it's just cheap insurance that you don't have to take it apart again. I'm not sure how to remove the carb on that model but some you have to dig a couple parts out of the way so you can get to the nuts on the carb flange. Once it's off I like a product called engine tuner, it's sold at any marine parts store that and compressed air will do the trick. Once you get it all apart let the jets soak for a good 1/2 hour in the tuner then blow air through them. Don't use wire or anything like that to clean the inside of the jets. Once clean you will be able to see through them.

MA

08-13-10, 07:02 AM   #5  
Thanks for the tips...still looking for a tear down sheet/instructions for it...it looks like it's gonna be a real "B" to get at and remove...will give it a go this weekend. Thanks

Search this Thread