OMC Tilt/Trim Goes up but not down

Old 08-18-09, 03:18 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OMC Tilt/Trim Goes up but not down

Hello, I got a 1992 Johnson 120 HP V4 with OMC Tilt/Trim. It worked fine last year. I was just messing with it to take it out this weekend. The Tilt raises the motor up perfect and strong but it will not lower it. Have to use the manual release to get it back down. Where do I check the fluid at? Any ideas about why it will go up and not down? Thanks.

Old 08-18-09, 05:35 PM
S
Look for 2 relays next to eachother. one is for up the other down. Swap them and I bet it will go down if it does that's your problem. Bring one of the old ones in to a auto parts store they will have what you need.

If that doesn't work I would look at your switch you should have power 12v on the red wire in the up position there will be power to the blue wire in the down position it will power the green.

Have a good day on the water.

Old 08-19-09, 04:54 PM
R
Thanks for the input. Trim is working perfect once again. For future reference where do I check/fill the fluid at?

Old 08-19-09, 05:07 PM
S
Trim the motor all the way up and put the lock in place so it doesn't fall on you. There will be a flad headed screw on the back. I rarly see low fluid level, the symptoms are it won't trimm all the way up and will jump at it's top travel because it's pumping air.

Good to hear it's working, I would pick up a relay and keep it on board. If it failed once it will fail again If you have one with you can replace it on the water.

Old 09-18-09, 06:44 AM
V
help finding the relays

hello my 1996 evinrude 120hp is doing the same up but not down. were would i find the relays

thanks

Originally Posted by samuari
Look for 2 relays next to eachother. one is for up the other down. Swap them and I bet it will go down if it does that's your problem. Bring one of the old ones in to a auto parts store they will have what you need.

If that doesn't work I would look at your switch you should have power 12v on the red wire in the up position there will be power to the blue wire in the down position it will power the green.

Have a good day on the water.

Old 09-18-09, 08:51 PM
S
I think they are monted on the port side on the top carb between the air box and carb.

Old 02-03-10, 05:21 PM
Thanks

Thanks Samuari you fixed the issue I was having with my trim tilt was the relay cheers

Old 08-21-10, 02:55 PM
R
Hey! My trim started acting up again this season, so I changed the relays. Works perfect-Thanks a ton! Marine supply wanted $13 each but the Auto Z matched it up for $7.
Thanks again for the help-

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: