Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trim stroke

WA

08-17-10, 05:16 PM   #1  
Trim stroke

I own a 2001 Reneil 205BR with a Volvo Penta SX stern drive. Recently the trim indicator indicates that the trim is only going down to the 1/4 trim mark. In addition, the boat seems to start with it's bow up higher before reaching plane and 'porpoises' slightly more than normal (both indicators that the lower unit is not fully trimmed down.

I checked the trim with the boat out of the water and it LOOKS like it's trimed straight up and down.

Could the trim indicator simply be off? The changes to the handling is very subtle so it's possible I'm imagining them.

Is there anyway to check if the trim is full down? If so, what might be the issue here?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

NY

08-18-10, 03:03 AM   #2  
I thought the SX didn't come out until '06? In any case, check the easy stuff first:
-- make sure there's no loose terminals or corrosion on the sender and gauge connections.
-- A friend of mine had a small chunk of wood lodged in the gimbal that prevented his outdrive from moving all the way down.

I'm really sorry that I don't know enough about Volvo drives to properly answer your question. You might try asking the same question at our sister forum over at The Hull Truth.

MN

08-18-10, 09:24 PM   #3  
If you trim the drive all the way down the rams should be fully collapsed and you shouldn't see any of the inner rod. The eyelet should be within 1/4" of the body.

I see a lot of sender failures.

Search this Thread