Help me figure out how to fasten down my fishing deck

Old 08-19-10, 05:50 PM
Help me figure out how to fasten down my fishing deck

When I removed the front fishing deck it was rivetted down thru the carpet in the center brace and all around the edge into the flange pertruding out from the hull. The plywood is 3/4" and the carper it 20oz. I had some 3/16" X .875 rivets that I put the floor down with... they are too short to grip the deck! I see some 3/16" x 1" rivets, thats a little bigger but I'm afraid it won't make it.

Its an aluminum hull Sylvan with a center brace in the middle made of aluminum and about a 1.5" angle pertruding around the edge.

How did you do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-10, 05:38 AM
Difficult, but not impossible to find. I'd give these people a call: Rivets - rivet guns - copper rivets - rivet tools - rivet nuts - Jay Cee Sales and Rivet Inc

Old 08-20-10, 06:29 AM
Fantastic! I dropped them a detailed Email.

Keep the ideas coming if there are more!

I even thought of screwing up from below but there doesn't seem to be enough clearance to get my screw gun under there. Also 10 years from now it won't be so nice and clean under there...LOL.

Old 08-27-10, 01:46 PM
I took your advice and contacted Jay-Cee, they had exactly what I needed! I ordered them and in no time they were here.

Great suggestion...Thanks!

Old 08-28-10, 03:13 AM
Glad to help. You should post some pix in the Did It Myself section.

Old 08-29-10, 06:50 AM
Well, its fastened down.... Even with the new rivets they weren't long enough in a few spots. The plywood combined with the carpet on top and rolled around the board made them just too short. These rivets are about the longest pop rivets known to man, with my son standing on the deck I could get a few in. I ended up running a few stainless screws up from underneith in the center and running a few #14 stainless panhead sheetmetal screws down thru around the edges.

It's in, its solid, the screws hid themselves in the carpet.. it looks good!