replacing carpet

Old 08-19-10, 08:50 PM
replacing carpet

I am replacing carpet in an older runabout speed boat. I don't need anything fancy. I plan to use the olefin grass carpet in marine blue. That comes with two different backings. The local Lowe's has the black marine backing, but the grass is not as thick. A local carpet dealer has the other type (made for outdoors like around pools and such) and the grass is much thicker. Does the backing matter?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-10, 05:42 AM
Yes. The marine backing will allow the carpet to breath and dry out the mastic on the decking.

Old 08-20-10, 06:36 AM
May I suggest the Overtons 20 oz Malibu carpet? It was the best that I found for the money. it looks and feels like a quality carpet and did a nice job. You can get it thru Oveton's or Gander Mountain. I got mine thru Gander, they are somehow in bed wih Overton... that meant free shipping :-)

Overton'sŪ > Exceptional Overtons Daystar And Malibu Marine Carpeting - Boating & Marine > Carpet & Flooring > Marine Carpet : Boat Carpet, Marine Carpet, Marine-Grade Carpet

Free samples are available, just ask them.

Old 08-21-10, 03:56 AM
We got ours for the Larson from Bass Pro. It came with a chunk of heavy paper the same size as the carpet. We used the paper to cut a template. Pinned the paper to the carpet and made a perfect-fit cut. We also got the proper adhesive.

We had to buy several extra yards to accommodate four hatches in the deck (engine access, gas/water tank access, and two storage hatches). The deck carpeting had to be continued down the sides of the hatches. The plywood hatch sides also had to be covered. We used the extra from the cutouts in the cabin.

The boat didn't have carpeting originally, so I had to trim about 1/4 inch off each side of the plywood hatches to create some clearance for the thickness of the carpet. if you're doing that, dry-fit some scraps first so you know how much to cut off.

As luck would have it, I had the adhesive spread all over the boat and the carpet halfway installed when a freak rainstorm soaked everything. The adhesive was water soluable until it dried, so it wicked up pure white through the burgundy carpet and dripped down into the bilge. What a mess! We quickly finished placing the carpet and covered the boat until the rain stopped.

After everything dried we were surprised to find that the white adhesive had dried colorless, and the carpet looked beautiful. The adhesive that was in the bilge was still wet enough to clean up with sponges. (Whew! We didn't waste $250 after all!)

Old 08-22-10, 06:59 PM
Since both backing choices are for outdoor applications, won't the other kind allow the carpet to breath and allow the decking to dry? It is blue olefin, the grasslike stuff, in marina blue. The guy at the store said he used it around a pool and the day after he laid it heavy rains flooded it for two days and it stayed glued and dried out without a problem. I will be putting it onto a floor that is fiberglassed with a coating of something like gelcoat with a texture to it. I think originally the boat just had that flooring and no carpet. Like I said in the original thread, it is an old 1970's runabout. It is in nice shape, but it's nothing fancy. I've used the marine backing kind in it before. I really like the carpet that has the thicker grass with the other kind of outdoor backing, but I don't want to waste money on it if it won't work right in a boat application.

Old 08-23-10, 03:16 AM
If you like it, go for it.

I've learned over the years, though, to use only products that are designed for marine applications.