Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tracker trailer question

CO

08-26-10, 07:23 AM   #1  
Tracker trailer question

I have a 2000 Tracker Pro Deep V16. The trailer axle has a pronounced upward bend in the middle which seems like it would produce camber on the wheels. Does anyone know if this is the way it was manufactured and what the reason would be? I have a tire wear problem and it seems that replacing the axle for about $150 is my cheapest out. The generic replacement axles are straight. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links

IA

08-26-10, 10:12 AM   #2  
That's the way they make'm.

I worked an axle manufacturer for a number of years. Until you get up in the 9k to 10k range and above a camber like you're describing is common. Different axle people use different designs on the beam = different cambers.

What kind of adverse wear are you seeing?

CO

08-26-10, 10:53 AM   #3  
It is a 2-3/8 round 3,500 lb axle. I bought it used and the spare was chewed to nothing on the inside with very choppy tread wear to the outside. I do not know which side it was on. My current right side tire is beginning to show similar choppy wear toward the outside. I recently checked it after running 20 miles and the tire was pretty warm. I need to do something prior to trailering 550 miles to Lake Powell.

IA

08-26-10, 12:11 PM   #4  
It's not the camber that's causing your problem. Pull off the tires so the bare hubs (or hub and drums) are showing. Block the trailer up so everything is level. Then use two straight 2 x 4's x 3 ft (or metal straight edges) and a couple of clamps.

Clamp the 2 x 4's flush to the hub and drums at mid point on the boards. Measure the toe in on the boards, front end and rear end.

They may not be perfect, but they should measure within 1/16 of an inch of true.

MN

08-26-10, 07:19 PM   #5  
Good advise. If the axle was bent up in the center it would wear the outsides more than the inside.

What is your air pressure set at?

CO

08-27-10, 01:23 PM   #6  
Thanks to all of you

Those were some great ideas. I found it really hard to use straight edges across the hubs, but found if I laid on the ground I could read a tape to 1/32 accuracy measuring hub face to hub face. I have 5/16" positive camber and 5/32 toe in across a 6" hub. That seems like a lot so I have ordered a new axle. Thanks again to all. This is a great forum.

Last edited by Handyman663; 08-27-10 at 02:34 PM. Reason: wrong data

Search this Thread