installing a new steering cable, now my motor won't steer.

Old 08-28-10, 06:30 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installing a new steering cable, now my motor won't steer.

I had my helm apart, I took out the pin and the steering wheel when I redid my dash.

When I tried to install the new cable I turned the steering wheel all the way, fed in the cable, reversed the rotation of the wheel, and fastened the adapter nut for the quick release adapter. When I turn the wheel all the way, the tail end of the cable only pokes out the other end of the helm by 2". Is it possible that I jacked up the adjustment when I removed the pin and reinstalled the wheel? Might I have to remove the pin again and feed in the cable, rotate the wheel into the right position and then reinstall the wheel? It appears that the steering wheel hits its end stop before the cable travels all the way.

Old 08-29-10, 05:58 PM
L
Gentlemen... we had a breakthru!!

First I removed the roll pin and pulled the steering wheel, it didn't seem to change anything.

I looked at the helm and I wondered... did the cable go in the top or the bottom... knowing pretty sure that it was in the bottom like I have it.

I removed the new cable and inserted it in the top and turned the wheel, it pulled all the way in but of course now the motor turns opposite. I removed the cable again and inserted it in the bottom and it woked right!! The cable that used to only poke out the top 1" now comes out 12"...what the heck! I did however notice that the steering wheel that used to turn 4 turns now seems to turn with no stop. I didn't hear anything break and now the motor moves lock to lock, I was also able to adjust it to get the wheel centered.

Old 08-29-10, 08:49 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Those systems are fairly bulletproof, all I have ever done is replace cables and was thinking of what could have gone wrong but couldn't come up with anything.

Old 08-30-10, 05:23 AM
L
Hey, I realize it's not rocket science. The odd part is why did I have 4 turns and now I have infinite?? I guess it really doesn't matter, it works or it doesn't. Turning one way I'm limited by cable travel, it can only draw so far until it can't move any more, the other way can only go so far until the motor hits its stop. Adjust the clamp until the steering wheel is straight and teh moror is straight.

I would say the from lock to lock there may be 1/4" of difference, and that difference can be overcome by turning the motor my hand. I think that under power the 1/4" difference would be non existant. I'm not sure if it can get any better than that.

Old 08-30-10, 07:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
If you only have 1/4" of play at your motor you will be fine and probably won't notice it at all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: