Filling and draining livewell, need a new setup

Old 08-28-10, 06:22 PM
Filling and draining livewell, need a new setup

My old setup was a pump and 3/4" tubing running up to a manual valve. You trurned ON the livewell pump and opened the valve, when it was full you closed the valve and turned OFF the pump. There was no aeration unless you opened the valve and filled it more. Is there a better way to do it? Since I am redoing everything, I thought that I would explore my options.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-10, 07:08 PM
You are going to have one heck of a fishing boat when you are done.

I will have to think about how ranger does there hose routing but they have 3 holes in the tank. One fill one drain-recerc and one overflow.

Old 08-29-10, 06:43 AM
Here's the problem.... currently I have one inlet hole and one overflow hole. If I put in a one way check valve, I could leave the livewell pump running or put it on a timer but now I couldn't drain it. Maybe what I do is put in a TEE with a valve into the tank and the other side of the TEE has a one way check, thsi way I can fill the tank and then valve off the inlet so that now everything goes thru the check valve until I want to drain it. The problem with that is all the plumbing would be on the floor behind the captain and suceptable to being stepped on.

Ideally what I need is a one way check valve, that I have seen readily available, but with a manual override to allow me to drain.

As far a s building the boat, I am hoping to include whatever I need now, I surely hope that it will turn out to be a heck of a boat when I'm done. I'm slowly getting it done and learning a lot in the process. If it were a classic car I'd be in my element, boats, well that's another story.

Old 08-29-10, 08:56 PM
For a recirculation system you will need to fill from the top and drain from the bottom. For some reason I'm drawing a blank on how it's done.

Old 08-30-10, 06:01 AM
I guess it I put a TEE and plastic valve inside the livewell and brought a tube up to the top I could fill and aerate, if I reach in and turn the valve on the bottom it could fill or drain. Probably not the best way but would work.

Old 08-31-10, 03:40 AM
What's the problem with letting it continuously fill and overflow?

Old 08-31-10, 04:16 PM
Sure I could probably do that but then there is the battery drain and the noise. I would guess over the course of a couple of hours of fishing it could be draining electrically.

Old 09-01-10, 03:39 AM
In my old Four Winns there was a "cooler" built in to the deck. It had no insulation and no drain, so it was useless as a cooler. I used it for a live well for the catch, which usually consisted of a couple of 3-pound smallies we'd keep for dinner. Emptying and replacing a bucketful of water once an hour kept the catch alive until we got home.

Point is, yours wouldn't have to run continuously. All it needs to do is circulate fresh water from time to time. However, a 3-amp motor would run for 24 or more hours on a typical 80-amp deep cycle.