Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No neutral-most of the time any way

MO

09-06-10, 10:36 AM   #1  
No neutral-most of the time any way

Hello, I got a 1992 Johnson 120 HP V4 with OMC Tilt/Trim. When I shift into what should be neutral after going forward it is a very slow idle forward. If I shift into reverse and then back into neutral sometimes it works and other times it is the slow idle forward or even slow idle reverse. Shifting into reverse is kind of clunky too. I have just dealt with it in the past but when tubing or skiing it is a pain and I imagine a waste of fuel to start and stop the motor all the time for 5-10 seconds before it is time to go again. A solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Rider93hawg; 09-06-10 at 10:38 AM. Reason: I must of left out an f on shift because I got stars!

Sponsored Links

MN

09-07-10, 06:40 PM   #2  
Your cable is most likely stretched. Pull your hood and find which cable is your shift cable. Remove the pin at the end of the cable holding the shift lever in place. Move the shift lever back and forth, it will have a detente where neutral is, adjust the end of the shift cable to line up the pin.

Search this Thread