After 12 years, almost ready for the maiden voyage, I appreciate all of the help

Old 09-21-10, 06:21 PM
After 12 years, almost ready for the maiden voyage, I appreciate all of the help

I'm finally in the last stages of the rebuild of my 1978 Sylvan Sea Master, just in time for the season to end..LOL I'm licensed, registered, and almost ready to launch.

Thanks to all who helped me out, and believe me I got a whole lot of input from my fellow DIYers. Cars, I know, boats.. I learned a whole lot!

I have to:
*install the storage door
*mount the rear pedestal
*finish painting the trailer

After:
*new floor
*new transom
*new carpet
*new wiring
*new lower unit
*new seats
*new console wood front and back, vinyl covered
*new raised platform
*new steering cable
*started and ran the motor after 12 years.... fired on the first turn of the key, running on the third turn
*new water pump
*new livewell pump and hose
*new bilge pump and hose
*new electrical panel
*paint livewell and inner hull
*new cover
*new galvanized trailer wheels/new tires/lights/paint/wiring/trailer coupler/winch

What did we ever do without Internet and Ebay???

Pictures to follow soon. Beer 4U2

I need a new name for the boat... something to do with the Internet or Ebay..LOL

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-10, 06:55 PM
What are your plans for use of the boat? Satisfaction, long cruising or resale?

If you get the boat in good shape and plan to go down the Ohio to the Mississippi and then to Florida, forget about the trailer after you spend the winter using it an then selling. You get the satisfaction, enough use and something to start over with.

Dick

Old 09-22-10, 06:23 AM
I plan to do some fishing with it, I'm finished just in time for Walleye season. I told my wife that when my knees got too bad to ride dirtbikes anymore, I was going to get a boat. This project wasn't really what I had planned and I'm sure I could have bought the same boat for what I put in it, but this way it's all new and I know how it's put together.

I was given the boat by a neighbor who bought it new, the agreement was that I could have it if I restored it. This is the second boat that he gave me, I have a 12' aluminum car topper too. I really think that he got a lot of enjoyment watching it come back to life, he was overseeing the project from the start..LOL.

The summer really screwed me as far as getting it finished in a timely manner, it was SO HOT AND HUMID all summer that it slowed me down a little. I'm anxious to get some fish blood smeared into that new carpet..LOL. I have 2 boys 23 and 21 that are both into fishing as well, I'l looking forward to getting them out too.

Old 09-23-10, 05:26 PM
Good to hear it's close. When I was getting close to the end of my last restoration project I said I would never do it again but literally after the first trip with it I was planing my next one. I just started on it last week.

I think you should name it SATISFACTION.

Old 09-29-10, 05:03 PM
The storage door mounted, the livewell tubing finished, the trailer is painted, I have 2 more wires to terminate, I need to mount the last pedestal, the original seat mount doesn't fit the new seat :-( and I need to install the reverse locking rod, then I"m DONE!

Old 09-29-10, 07:50 PM
I worked on my race boat for about a year close to everyday, about halfway through it I vowed to never do fiberglass work again. Well I can honestly say within the first day it was on the water I was thinking of my next project, witch I just started this week. It's rewording to stand back and see what you have done but priceless once you get it on the water. Good Job!

Old 10-15-10, 04:38 PM
Old 11-06-10, 08:15 AM
Looks good. Im in the process of a 71 18SS Sidewinder restoration. Ive just finished glassing new stringers in, new ribs, new deck, new transom and added knee braces and a horizontal brace. All wood/glass... I need to start my interior now.