Mercruiser Engine Removal

Old 11-01-10, 06:24 PM
Mercruiser Engine Removal

I have a 1979 228 Mercruiser. first off, I ordered a manual today. I have taken the outdrive off and I am looking at the back of the engine where the control cable, shift cable, trim line hydraulics, power steering assembly and lines all come together just above the engine bell housing. How should I proceed with removal?

The metal plate that holds the interupptor switch and shift/control cables.....should this be removed, or just the cables?

What about the engine mounts both front and rear...

Obviously, I dont want to wait for the manual.....

thanks

Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-10, 09:22 PM
I pull the interrupter bracket and the steering hoses at the actuator trim pump should be fine just the wires. There are 2 3/4" bolts in the back and 2 spring washers under them that can stay as you pull it out just make sure to put them back. There are also ground wires on both corners of the bell housing held on studs with 9/16" nuts one has the neg batt cable the other side also has one going to the tsk. I remove the single nut off the front mounts if at all possible, I've ran into problems with soft stringers taking the lag bolts out and trying to line the brackets to the block back up would be a pain. Before you go to pull it make sure you can lift it high enough to get it over the side of the boat.

Old 11-02-10, 05:41 AM
thanks for the help Samauri, I am a bit confused though. Are you saying disconnect the trim pump lines and wires at the pump? and are you saying to leave the interruptor switch plate on the motor and just disconnect the wires?

Ed

Old 11-02-10, 08:27 PM
You should be able to just unhook the trim wires and leave the hyd lines connected. I pull the actuator bracket off the motor.

Search this Thread