Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Minn Kota All Terrain 40# trolling motor, foot pedal issues.... buy it or run?

PA

11-14-10, 12:35 PM   #1  
Minn Kota All Terrain 40# trolling motor, foot pedal issues.... buy it or run?

I have an oppertunity to buy what was described as a Minn Kota All Terrain 40# with foot control in "excellent condition" for $100. Come to find out it came new on a 1998 boat and the pedal "sometimes works and sometimes doesn't"... excellent condition... maybe not?? I'm still waiting for a better description of what works and what sometimes does not. The seller said "I think that it just needs adjusted but I don't know how to do it"..... that worries me too.

I can't help but think that the foot pedal can be taken apart and fixed. The motor pivots on cables leaving only the speed control, ON/OFF, and direction if it even has that, as the electrical side. Probably a few switches and a rheostat or potentiometer. I'll bet that I could fix it but being sold "as is", fixed or not I would own it.

I'm also thinking that this is not a Maximizer type motor, the age scares me a little, and 40# may be the minimum I would need for a 16" deep V. This thing also includes the bow mount and all hardware.

I kind of had my thoughts set on a Minn Kota 55# V2, if for noting else, it looks like it takes up less room on the bow. That is a maximizer motor but of course they are much more expensive.

What's your opinion?

Sponsored Links

PA

11-15-10, 04:36 PM   #2  
Darn... someone beat me to it. Still would like to know though....

MN

11-15-10, 04:37 PM   #3  
I think the power drive unit is well worth the money. I had a cable driven model for a year and after switching I won't go back. It's so nice to be able to move around the boat and still be able to control the motor.

PA

11-15-10, 06:20 PM   #4  
I think you are right about moving around, I am also reading about tripping over the rigid cable. Having never used one I can only guess that the feel of turning a motor on a cable wouldn't be less than ideal as well.

I do have a line on a used Minn Kota V2 55# but the guy is asking $400, that sounds too high as compared to a new one. Also the guy is 4 hours from my home but 1.5 hours from a worksite have I drive to once in a while. At that price, maybe he'll need some Christmas cash and drop it a little if I wait him out.

MN

11-15-10, 07:02 PM   #5  
$400 is a little high, I sold my v2 with universal sonar for $350 after using it once it literally didn't have a scratch on it.

PA

11-16-10, 02:55 PM   #6  
I think I'm more in the $250 - $300 range for that.

Search this Thread