Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1978 Ski Nautique with Ford 351 Commander engine

TX

01-25-11, 01:14 PM   #1  
1978 Ski Nautique with Ford 351 Commander engine

engine has been internally completely re-done. Still has original Holley carb. Seems to start normally when engine is cold, but when out on lake and engine is warmed-up seems difficult to start and sometime will not. Seems like it's not getting enough gas. When it's running it is great as far as pickup and power. Bad fuel pump ? carb adjustment ?

Sponsored Links

MN

01-25-11, 09:29 PM   #2  
When trying to start after it's wormed up what do you need to do to start it? Pumping the throttle more than once would indicate a lean condition. Opening the throttle once and holding it open would indicate a rich condition.

Is this a problem that just started or has it slowly gotten worse?

TX

01-26-11, 06:42 AM   #3  
This has always been a problem since I purchased the boat. You definitely have to pump the throttle some or it would never start, but then sometimes you smell gas, so it may be getting too much fuel. Something seems to not be working properly. Had it in the driveway the other day and it was difficult. I put starting fluid straight into the carb and it started quick. I thinking of replacing the fuel pump, studying the choke mechanism (for possible adjustment) and at last resort new carb. I think all of that stuff is original

MN

01-27-11, 03:18 PM   #4  
The carb might need to be cleaned and rebuilt with a carb kit. Something else to look at would be vapor lock from the heat of the engine while at rest. Something to try would be opening the engine hatch while sitting and see if that helps cool the fuel line. If it does then try to ether move it away from the block or insulate it in some way.

TX

02-03-11, 06:41 AM   #5  
Thank you

Thank you for your suggestions

MN

02-05-11, 06:49 PM   #6  
You are welcome, if I can help any further feel free to ask.

Search this Thread