1997 Seadoo XP 800cc good buy or not?

Old 03-29-11, 12:26 PM
1997 Seadoo XP 800cc good buy or not?

I'm looking into getting a jetski and I don't have that much to spend so I found this on craigslist: a '97 Seadoo XP 800cc that just had the motor rebuilt and is in good condition. The guy wants $2200 for it and the trailer but will take $2000. Only ever used in freshwater.

My question is, is this a good buy? Is this model known to have a lot of things wrong with it? Seems like a decent price to me for what it is but I don't know anything about these things and this will be my first.

seadoo with trailer

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-11, 08:19 PM
I have very little experience with personal watercraft but I guess I would want to know who rebuilt it and if there is any warranty on their work.

Old 03-30-11, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
I have a 1995 Kawasaki STS and so far the most major work it's needed was to replace the head gasket last year. Knowing how trouble free it's been (and it's been in salt water the last five years) I'm suspicious why the Seedoo has required so much work. An engine rebuild I can understand if the oil pump failed but I don't know what you could do to require replacing the carbs. Of course all that recent work means you have new carbs and a fresh engine which could make it run like new.

Old 03-30-11, 06:04 PM
Also, anyone know what kind of fuel efficiency I could expect with this thing?

Old 03-31-11, 03:42 AM
Group Moderator
My STS is pretty fuel efficient if you are cruising around at half throttle but if the throttle is wide open it can drink fuel pretty quickly. This site has a chart showing the fuel consumption for various SeaDoo models and says the XP burns 11.7 gallons per hour at full throttle and it has an 11 gallon tank.

Old 03-31-11, 05:51 AM
Thanks; is there any such website for Polaris'? I'm also looking at a 1995 Polaris sl 750, which being smaller I would expect to be more efficient, but idk.

Old 04-01-11, 08:14 AM
it could be, but I would perform a compression test to make sure its not blown up. no more than 10% difference between cyl with at lease 100psi min.
as far as fuel economy my 98 XP uses 13 gal in about 45 min at full throttle, but remember you also have to factor in the cost of your 2 stroke oil .