Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Adjusting reverse lock rod before installing lower unit, how do YOU do it?

PA

05-07-11, 11:33 AM   #1  
Adjusting reverse lock rod before installing lower unit, how do YOU do it?

I FINALLY got the correct reverse lock rod for my '77 50 HP Merc 500! I'm about to install the lower unit (again) and I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the reverse lock rod. Here is how I laid it out in my mind, give me your suggestions, or feel free to tell me I'm all wrong.

The rod is curved and I figured out which way the curve goes to be parallel to the shift shaft, thats a no brainer. I saw a picture in the manual of what direction the clevis faces, again a no brainer.

I wound the shaft out until when completely installed the length of the reverse lock shaft is exactly the same as the length of the shifter rod, and here's why. When the shifter shaft is over the shifter, the reverse lock cam is the same height as the bottom of the outer shifter shaft as it rests slipped over the inner shaft.

Am I close, or am I reading something wrong into this?

Sponsored Links

PA

05-07-11, 02:55 PM   #2  
UPDATE: I installed the rod and the attempted to install the lower unit extension piece. When I tried to do so, the lockout rod binds. It appears that there isn't enough room to clear both the shifter rod and the reverse rod down thru the housing. There is a plastic guide that goes up inside that keeps them aligned, and it is in there. I wrangled with that thing between rainstorms today with no success. This makes no sense, the extension piece is the original part. Looking for advice.

MN

05-07-11, 09:08 PM   #3  
I can look and see if we have a manual for that motor at work, it's a long shot but it's worth a try. If I can see what your dealing with I might be able to help.

PA

05-08-11, 06:55 AM   #4  
I can take some pictures if it would help. I have a manual on CD but oddly it has no pictures or info on the reverse lockout. It has a picture of the clamps at the top in the lubrication section near the end, that's it!

PA

05-08-11, 05:35 PM   #5  
Here are some pictures:

This is the plastic spacer that I believe goes up inside the main part of the driveshaft cover. Sorry for the crappy picture, you'll see it again in a later picture:

This is the intermediate piece, the plastic spacer goes above this and if it were to slide down, it sits above this round hole. Notice there is no sort of a notch for the lockout shaft to fit down thru: http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...diatepiece.jpg

This is the alignment of the shifter shaft and the reverse lockout shaft. The alignment is held somewhat by the plastic winged piece that is already shoved up inside: http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...aftspacing.jpg

This is how the winged piece fits, right side up, upside down, not sure but either way it does not fix my problem: http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...cerinplace.jpg

This picture kinda explains the problem. Eventhought this piece fits up above this intermediate piece, you can see how the alignment will be. You can see by the location of the hole in the plastic guide that there isn't enough room in the round hole to easily fit both shafts. http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...acermisfit.jpg

The intermediate piece and the plastig guide are original to this motor, the lockout shaft is a new old stock OEM piece.

PA

05-10-11, 02:42 PM   #6  
UPDATE: I took the boat to a marine repair facility (yes, it hurt to do that, but it may be worth it)

I was told that this motor is a short shaft motor with a Bay Manufacturing shaft extender kit on it! Huh... who da thunk it?

The new part that I purchased is an OEM long shaft lockout rod, not really what I need. The motor currently has an extender piece for the driveshaft, the shifter shaft, and probably at one time, for the lockout shaft. The mid section is part of the kit and it probably had some non-stock lock rod that fit down thru the hole.

Here are the proposed options: 1. die grind a slot in the casting to allow the rod to fit. 2. somehow modify the new OEM rod to work, maybe thin it out. 3. purchase a new OEM short shaft lockout rod as well as a lockout rod extender from Bay Manufacturing (if it is still available).

I contacted Bay Manufacturing to ask them their opinion and see what my options are thru them.

PA

05-12-11, 03:59 PM   #7  
UPDATE: This story just keeps getting better! I received a call from Bay Manufacturing today, and kudos to them, their tech support was fantastic! As it turns out, the reverse lock actuator, that plastic splined piece with the steps in it, is supposed to get removed and installed up above the space piece in that round hole! Apparently it slips over the splines of the extension piece for the shift shaft. This allows the stock reverse lock rod to work as intended, unfortunately I purchased a new long shaft rod when I should have purchased a short shaft rod. We're hoping that we can move the actuator piece and cut off the reverse rod. He told me that the kit was designed to use all stock Merc parts.

PA

05-15-11, 06:09 PM   #8  
I relayed the info from Bay Mfg to the Marine Mechanic, apparently everything was accurate. He called me today and said that it was together and running. He was able to cut a few inches off of the long shaft reverse lock rod and it worked out. He replaced the step cog for the reverse lock with a solid metal one, he claimed that the plastic or plastic/metal version that I gave him would not last.

He installed 4 new plugs since he said that the had a hard time getting it to start, personally I think that it was because I fogged it last year and it hasn't been started yet this year. Never the less, he said that the plugs were not even close to being the correct ones. I replaced them last year with new ones that came with the boat, I had no idea they were the wrong ones. I know that stock these motors take center fires, mine were AC's which I never had any luck with in my other 2 stroke motors anyway.

Picking it up tomorrow, I'm even happy with the price.... LOL, wasn't expecting that!

Search this Thread