Trailer Re-lamping

Old 05-09-11, 08:37 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Trailer Re-lamping

I removed the outer lenses on my 2000 Tracker trailer and found a sealed coffin shaped unit inside which houses the lamps. It has a black plastic back and clear plastic bubble. I can't figure how to open it. Is there any help out there??

Old 05-11-11, 07:50 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That is supposed to be a sealed unit, you can cut them open to replace the bulb but it won't be water proof any more. The new ones have a rubber gasket to keep water out....or in.

My opinion on trailer lights is that they are fine getting wet as long as the bulb is cool and not hot. I never have unplugged my trailer lights but I do make sure they have been off while I get the boat ready at the ramp and I don't have sealed lights on any of my trailers.

Old 05-15-11, 04:52 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Thanks Chet

I figured it out on the internet. For my previous 1963 trailer, I used to buy lamps in a contractor pack for less than 50 cents apiece. I used quite a few, but no big deal. These sealed units cost about 15 bucks each with shipping. There were none available locally in retail. I guess that's progress.

Question: The sealed units connect to the trailer wiring with wire nuts. I cannot unscrew them. Are there special water resistant wire nuts for boat trailers???

Thanks for all of your help on this forum. You have taught me a lot over the past couple years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: