Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Clinton Sea King 5 horse outboard motor

AZ

05-25-11, 04:38 PM   #1  
Clinton Sea King 5 horse outboard motor

I am very new to anything about boats, so I could use some help. I just bought an old Ward's boat with a '75 Clinton Sea King 5 horse motor. I took it out last weekend and it got pretty hot in just a couple of minutes. I need to know how to check my water pump and replace it if necesary. I appreciate any feedback from anyone that thinks they can help me.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

05-25-11, 06:33 PM   #2  
I don't know your motor, but usually there is a hole under the motor, at the back of the shaft, that will have a stream of water running out when the engine is running. That stream indicates that the water pump is doing it's job. No water - pump problem.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

NY

05-25-11, 08:52 PM   #3  
Welcome to the forums. The first service that's recommended whenever a used motor is purchased is to replace the impeller. Usually this is accomplished by pulling off the lower section of the drive to gain access the water pump. However, some engines sold by Ward during that era were air cooled. Info on the Clinton models is sketchy.

Generally the Ward outboards expelled cooling water out of the exhaust port above the prop. The intakes were slots either above or below the cavitation plate (the horizontal plate above the propeller). If you can get a set of "muffs" on it to connect a garden hose, you can start it in the driveway and see if it's pumping water.

AZ

05-26-11, 10:47 AM   #4  
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. When I was running it at the lake there was a stream of water coming out just above the propeller, but like I say it got very warm in a short amount of time. I think I'm going to set up a barrel full of water and try running it to see if it is pumping water or not.

Search this Thread